Do you eat breakfast every morning? We do, and if you’re skipping this meal, it’s time you seriously consider the effects. Breakfast literally means “breaking the fast.” When you wake up in the morning, it is important to give your brain and muscles the fuel they’ve been without for the past 8+ hours and to get your metabolism going again. If you skip breakfast, you’re also more likely to make unhealthy choices later in the day. You’ll lack energy and feel hungry. I don’t know about you, but the teacher’s room where I work is constantly filled with tempting goodies and I’ve learned that my daily, filling bowl of oatmeal and scrambled egg whites helps me to say no each day.
Why eat breakfast?:
- Eating breakfast breaks your body’s fast and can reduce hunger later in the day which makes it easier to say no to the delicious treats in your office or to your favorite fast food restaurant.
- Eating a healthy breakfast will encourage you to make healthy choices throughout the day.
- Jump starts your metabolism!
- A healthy breakfast gives you energy and starts your day off on the right foot.
- Some skip breakfast & think that they’re saving calories, however, by lunch, that person is usually starving & will be more likely to overeat throughout the day.
Healthy breakfast options:
- Oatmeal and scrambled egg whites or hard-boiled eggs (our staple breakfast)
- An egg white omelette filled with your favorite veggies (spinach, mushrooms, peppers) and a side of fruit
- Whole grain toast with natural peanut or almond butter, topped with a sliced banana & cinnamon
- Plain greek yogurt with granola and fruit
- Tone it Up protein pancakes (recipe: https://littlechangesbigdreams.wordpress.com/2012/03/03/tone-it-up-protein-pancakes-2/)
What’s your favorite breakfast meal?